Here is a simple exercise to help with anxiety, stress, irritation and lung health.
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4.
- Hold your breath for a count of 7.
- Release your breath through your mouth for a count of 8.
- Repeat! (at least for another three rounds)
- Notice how you feel and how your thought patterns have changed.
Studies show that getting emotionally triggered turns on a chemical timer. Once the switch is flipped the process continues a lot like dominoes. Instead of reacting during this time (and probably doing or saying something you’ll regret), simply breathe.
Doing this exercise regularly, actually reduces the amount of times that we will get triggered. Try incorporating this simple technique during your day or at bedtime. (It can help you clear your mind and relax your body if you have a difficult time falling asleep.)